February 2012 PASRR Webinar
You can download a PDF version of the presentation slides at the bottom of this webpage.
Acknowledgement of Commercial Support: There is no commercial support for this activity.
- Introduction: Review of PASRR - OBRA 1987 & Review of steps in the discharge process for a patient moving from acute care to a post-acute provider (15 minutes)
- Federal Regulations that apply to the discharge of patients: HIPAA (Privacy, Conditions of Participation for Discharge Planning, COP for Utilization Review - section on appropriateness of next level of care, Social Security Act 1802- Patient's Rights. (15 minutes).
- Barriers to completion of PASRR Level I: Access to forms, lack of training for new staff, lack of clarity in what constitutes history of MI/MR (ID), need to collaborate with patient's physician. (15 minutes)
- Barriers to completion of PASRR Level II: Waiting for response, selection of clinician for Level II, coordination of appointment for completion of Level II while patient still in acute care. (10 minutes)
- Strategies to overcome barriers: Staff orientation (new staff), in-service training (existing staff), on-line training, PASRR expectation in job descriptions, State coordinator feedback to hospital staff through hospital association, local meetings, national meetings, case management blogs. (20 min)
- Questions and answers (15 min)
Objectives - After attending this program, participants should be able to:
- List Federal rules and regulations that overlap with the OBRA 1987 – PASRR rule.
- Identify barriers that hospitals encounter when conducting the PASRR Level I and Level II screens.
- List strategies that both hospitals and PASRR coordinators can use to manage the barriers.
Principal Faculty and Credentials: Jackie Birmingham, RN, BSN, MS, CMAC
Bibliographic Sources: Please see attached document titled "PASRR Partner 2-14-2012 Birmingham.pdf"
Copyright: All faculty in this activity have given their permission for publication. © 2012 Mission Analytics Group, LLC